Monday, November 2, 2009

Not Sure What to Think...

For my First-Year-Seminar class we are asked to write small personal responses to certain topics. I found this one to be “interesting” for lack of a better word. The one thing that really bugs me about this topic is the way it was worded. I feel that many people who attended this school are very “anti- every other religion but theirs.”

The question was: Your new roommates, friends, and even your professors probably do not share your theological background. "How are you responding to those around you who come from different Christian traditions -- or who, in fact, may not be people of faith?" Does this statement mean that everyone who does not have a Christian faith has no faith at all?

I wasn’t sure so I guess I sort of ignored the fact it pissed me off and just wrote this:

I grew up in a public school system. Coming from this sort of setting I am used to my peers being from different faith backgrounds. Many of my friends from back home have views separate from mine. I have friends who are atheists, family members who are Buddhist, and a very good friend who is Jewish. Their religion, beliefs, and their customs do not change how I think of them in any way. Excluding the few kids in my youth group, all of my friends are Catholic.

Roberts Wesleyan likes to say that they accept people of all faith backgrounds here. However, I would love to meet a non-Christian that goes to this school. During one of the first weeks of school one of my new friends said that they have never met a Jewish person. I was in shock, complete shock. I could not comprehend how she could live in this country, go to a public school, and never meet a Jewish person.

I have noticed that many people here are quite open with their faith, others tend to shy away from it. I am not used to being around people who are so intense about their faith. In my group of friends I was always considered the church girl. Although I am strong in my faith, being around the people here, I feel a little out of place. It isn’t in anyway steering me away from being a Christian. In fact, I think it is making my faith even stronger then it was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment