Thursday, February 4, 2010

Slang is going to be the death of me...

I don't know about you... but when I hear something said over and over again I begin to pick up on it. I try to speak proper English as often as I can but sometimes it just doesn't work. As I have mentioned in previous blog entries, I am taking a Shakespeare on Film course.  On top of that I am attempting to read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte' (attempting being the key word). So, recently I have found myself thinking in this old time English.

If you have known me long enough you will remember me going through my Dukes of Hazard faze. Guess what, I may be going through that again. This weekend I watched 4 hours of the second season. And enjoyed every second of it! Writing an essay right after that was not a good idea to say the least. I was re-reading it the next day...and I realized that I had written the entire paper in southern slang. I had fun translating what I wrote.

Adding on to this mess, today was my first day of OPE's. Now, don't take any of what I am about to say the wrong way because I have a feeling I am going to fall in love with my placement. But, my placement is to an inner-city school. And well, we all know the slang that students use in city schools. Frankly, people use slang everywhere, but it is particularly noticeable in city schools.

To sum this up: Sometime soon I may seem like I just stepped out of southern slum in the late 1500's. Just saying...

1 comment: